Home

News

Forums

Hardware

CPUs

Mainboards

Video

Guides

CPU Prices

Memory Prices

Shop



Sharky Extreme :


Latest News


- Outdoor Life: Panasonic Puts 3G Wireless Into Rugged Notebooks
- Averatec Launches Lightweight Turion 64 X2 Laptop
- Acer Fires Up Two New Ferrari Notebooks
- Belkin Debuts Docking Station for ExpressCard-Equipped Notebooks
- Logitech 5.1 Speaker System Puts Your Ears At Eye Level
News Archives

Features

- SharkyExtreme.com: Interview with ATI's Terry Makedon
- SharkyExtreme.com: Interview with Seagate's Joni Clark
- Half-Life 2 Review
- DOOM 3 Review
- Unreal Tournament 2004 Review

Buyer's Guides

- September High-end Gaming PC Buyer's Guide
- September Value Gaming PC Buyer's Guide
- October Extreme Gaming PC Buyer's Guide

HARDWARE

  • CPUs


  • Motherboards

    - Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Motherboard Review
    - DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Motherboard Review

  • Video Cards

    - Gigabyte GeForce 7600 GT 256MB Review
    - ASUS EN7900GT TOP 256MB Review
    - ASUS EN7600GT Silent 256MB Review
    - Biostar GeForce 7900 GT 256MB Review





  • SharkyForums.Com - Print: Retail vs. OEM processors

    Retail vs. OEM processors
    By cracKrock November 09, 2000, 03:47 PM

    I bet this has been hashed and re-hased, but I'd like to start the thread 'cause I'm curious. I just ordered a retail P3 866. I've always heard retail chips are better quality than the OEM versions and can overclock better. Is that true?

    By mpitts November 09, 2000, 04:10 PM

    quote:Originally posted by cracKrock:
    I bet this has been hashed and re-hased, but I'd like to start the thread 'cause I'm curious. I just ordered a retail P3 866. I've always heard retail chips are better quality than the OEM versions and can overclock better. Is that true?

    Some people will tell you they are, but I don't believe it.

    I have used OEM and Retail CPU's and have never seen any discernable difference between the two OC-wise.

    By ryandinan November 09, 2000, 04:10 PM

    I would have to say.....yes...And I hesitate when I say that..
    Retail chips seem to (from my own experience)overclock consistently and constantly. Ive bought a few OEM chips, and they too overclocked without a problem. I just seem to reason that OEM chips must be of an overall lower quality just because they DONT go on the shelf for customers. I dunno...maybe thats a stupid reason. I just feel better buying a retail chip - the warrenty helps as well
    Overall, I think its just luck of the draw..
    -Ryan

    By sillaf November 09, 2000, 05:24 PM

    quote:Originally posted by cracKrock:
    I bet this has been hashed and re-hased, but I'd like to start the thread 'cause I'm curious. I just ordered a retail P3 866. I've always heard retail chips are better quality than the OEM versions and can overclock better. Is that true?

    With OEM's your more likely to get chips that have been picked over by overclockers. Especially if you bought it at a store that sells overclocked systems.

    Sillaf

    By sicko November 09, 2000, 06:11 PM

    I've never had a problem going OEM. And you're right this has be rehashed time and time again. Do a search you'll find all you need to know

    By sapasion November 09, 2000, 08:21 PM

    If the price is close why get retail? If there's a significant difference, oem is fine. My oem 533a runs at 896 no problems. The chips are the same. The only difference is oem chips have the small possibility of having been "used" in some capacity. Just get some decent cooling options and you'll be fine with oem.

    By cracKrock November 09, 2000, 08:33 PM

    Well, there has to be a difference. I know the retail chips come with a heatsink and fan. But they also come with a much longer warranty. So, could I assume that Intel picks the chips they think will last a lot longer and box them as retail?

    I've always purchased OEM chips, but I found a really good deal on this retail chip and decided to try it. Maybe it's just the psychology of retail/pretty box = higher quality?


    quote:Originally posted by ryandinan:
    I would have to say.....yes...And I hesitate when I say that..
    Retail chips seem to (from my own experience)overclock consistently and constantly. Ive bought a few OEM chips, and they too overclocked without a problem. I just seem to reason that OEM chips must be of an overall lower quality just because they DONT go on the shelf for customers. I dunno...maybe thats a stupid reason. I just feel better buying a retail chip - the warrenty helps as well
    Overall, I think its just luck of the draw..
    -Ryan


    ...
    check out: http://www.tranzor.net

    By powerpc November 09, 2000, 09:11 PM

    correct me if i am wrong, but there isn't any difference between oem and retail except for the box/warranty/hsf. My reasoning on the situation is, if you're going to OC, go oem, the extra warranty will be voided anyway and the standard hsf isn't going to be adequate cooling anyway. But if you're not going to OC the retail is better because of the extended warranty and the standard hsf will be enough.

    just my $0.02

    By cracKrock November 09, 2000, 09:16 PM

    I think you get a kewl case sticker, too. heh.

    quote:Originally posted by powerpc:
    correct me if i am wrong, but there isn't any difference between oem and retail except for the box/warranty/hsf. My reasoning on the situation is, if you're going to OC, go oem, the extra warranty will be voided anyway and the standard hsf isn't going to be adequate cooling anyway. But if you're not going to OC the retail is better because of the extended warranty and the standard hsf will be enough.

    just my $0.02

    By sapasion November 09, 2000, 09:40 PM

    quote:Originally posted by powerpc:
    correct me if i am wrong, but there isn't any difference between oem and retail except for the box/warranty/hsf. My reasoning on the situation is, if you're going to OC, go oem, the extra warranty will be voided anyway and the standard hsf isn't going to be adequate cooling anyway. But if you're not going to OC the retail is better because of the extended warranty and the standard hsf will be enough.

    just my $0.02

    I think you're right. The chips themselves are the same. Many people buy thinking its a superior chip and retailers make more money that way.

    By Ymaster November 09, 2000, 09:59 PM

    quote:Originally posted by ryandinan:
    I would have to say.....yes...And I hesitate when I say that..
    Retail chips seem to (from my own experience)overclock consistently and constantly. Ive bought a few OEM chips, and they too overclocked without a problem. I just seem to reason that OEM chips must be of an overall lower quality just because they DONT go on the shelf for customers. I dunno...maybe thats a stupid reason. I just feel better buying a retail chip - the warrenty helps as well
    Overall, I think its just luck of the draw..
    -Ryan


    The resen for this is that OEM's do not get boxed up. So any fool can relable the cpu with the right handy work. Fakes are a big problem!


    By BobboJay9 November 10, 2000, 12:58 AM

    what exactly does oem stand for? I know what it is....

    By yngwie98 November 10, 2000, 02:50 AM

    OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer
    I'm going for an OEM Tbird, whatever $150 can buy in 1 month, as it won't be overclocked. As for a heatsink, I've heard good things about the Global Win FOP 32 (which I plan on buying) and the Cooler Master DP5-6H51.

    OEM also applies to car stuff.
    For example - an AC Delco air filter would be an OEM part for my 2000 Grand AM versus a K&N airfilter which would be an aftermarket part.... OK, better stop now before I start blabbering on about car stuff


    By mpitts November 10, 2000, 09:19 AM

    quote:Originally posted by cracKrock:
    Well, there has to be a difference. I know the retail chips come with a heatsink and fan. But they also come with a much longer warranty. So, could I assume that Intel picks the chips they think will last a lot longer and box them as retail?

    I've always purchased OEM chips, but I found a really good deal on this retail chip and decided to try it. Maybe it's just the psychology of retail/pretty box = higher quality?



    ...
    check out: http://www.tranzor.net

    I have to disagree that Retail CPU's are higher quality. The reason the warranty is longer (IMO) is because you paid more and the fact that they supply a HSF (which sucks).

    I have had a lot of experience with both Retail and OEM CPU's in my time, and I have never found that one is better than the other in OCing. In fact, I have OCed at least 5 c566's and the only one that WOULDN'T hit 850 was a retail CPU. Go figure.

    YMMV

    By mpitts November 10, 2000, 09:25 AM

    quote:Originally posted by sapasion:
    I think you're right. The chips themselves are the same. Many people buy thinking its a superior chip and retailers make more money that way.



    You pay for peace of mind. Some people really want the longer warranty.


    By mpitts November 10, 2000, 09:26 AM

    quote:Originally posted by Ymaster:

    The resen for this is that OEM's do not get boxed up. So any fool can relable the cpu with the right handy work. Fakes are a big problem!

    I don't think that it is that big of a problem. Other than the Australian Athlon controversy, I haven't heard of a CPU relabeling scandal in a while


    By mpitts November 10, 2000, 09:27 AM

    quote:Originally posted by yngwie98:
    OK, better stop now before I start blabbering on about car stuff


    Whew.. thanks..

    By leaf November 10, 2000, 12:03 PM

    Seriously, even if it is true that a retail will overclock better (which i highly doubt), once overclocked your warranty is kapoot, so buying retail is a waste. Everything inside my PC (except my MoBo) are OEM right down to windoze and for 3 years my problems are all windoez related (perhaps because it's OEM). These things (cpu and whatnot), unless there are defects in them, usually last a long long time but if you're an overclocker then who knows and warranty won't matter then.

    Buy OEM and spend the left over moolah on porno or something. heheheh Most places have at least 30 day warranty for your OEM cpu.

    just my 2 cents

    By cracKrock November 10, 2000, 01:36 PM

    You missed my point about the warranty: Intel picks the best chips, gives them the best warranty and packs them as retail. Hence, if they're the best quality chips, they should OC better.

    Not that that's the way it really is... it was just my point.

    quote:Originally posted by leaf:
    Seriously, even if it is true that a retail will overclock better (which i highly doubt), once overclocked your warranty is kapoot, so buying retail is a waste. Everything inside my PC (except my MoBo) are OEM right down to windoze and for 3 years my problems are all windoez related (perhaps because it's OEM). These things (cpu and whatnot), unless there are defects in them, usually last a long long time but if you're an overclocker then who knows and warranty won't matter then.

    Buy OEM and spend the left over moolah on porno or something. heheheh Most places have at least 30 day warranty for your OEM cpu.

    just my 2 cents

    ...
    check out: http://www.tranzor.net


    Contact Us | www.SharkyForums.com

    Copyright © 1999, 2000 internet.com Corporation. All Rights Reserved.


    Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.46

    previous page
    next page





    Copyright © 2002 INT Media Group, Incorporated. All Rights Reserved. About INT Media Group | Press Releases | Privacy Policy | Career Opportunities