Home

News

Forums

Hardware

CPUs

Mainboards

Video

Guides

CPU Prices

Memory Prices

Shop



Sharky Extreme :

Auto Insurance
Quotes

Latest News


- Acer Fires Up Two New Ferrari Notebooks
- Belkin Debuts Docking Station for ExpressCard-Equipped Notebooks
- Logitech 5.1 Speaker System Puts Your Ears At Eye Level
- Dell, Nvidia, and Intel Fire Up Overclockable Gaming Notebook
- Gateway Puts Premium Components Into Affordable Home Desktop
News Archives

Features

- SharkyExtreme.com: Interview with ATI's Terry Makedon
- SharkyExtreme.com: Interview with Seagate's Joni Clark
- Half-Life 2 Review
- DOOM 3 Review
- Unreal Tournament 2004 Review

Buyer's Guides

- September High-end Gaming PC Buyer's Guide
- September Value Gaming PC Buyer's Guide
- October Extreme Gaming PC Buyer's Guide

HARDWARE

  • CPUs


  • Motherboards

    - DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Motherboard Review

  • Video Cards

    - Gigabyte GeForce 7600 GT 256MB Review
    - ASUS EN7900GT TOP 256MB Review
    - ASUS EN7600GT Silent 256MB Review
    - Biostar GeForce 7900 GT 256MB Review





  • SharkyForums.Com - Print: Netscape 6 is here!

    Netscape 6 is here!
    By Ymaster November 15, 2000, 06:52 AM

    http://netscape.com/

    I'm playing around with it still. But so far it ROCKS!

    By Sol November 15, 2000, 07:42 AM

    Is it as buggy as they say? A guy here at work downloaded and he was commenting on it earlier. I havent had the chance to download it yet.

    By Adrenelin November 15, 2000, 08:32 AM

    i'VE got a beta version that hangs on page loads. If i went by that I'd say it was quite unstable...

    By Sol November 15, 2000, 08:38 AM

    I tried a beta of it, but I ended up getting rid of it. I know at work our program has to work on both Netscape and IE so thats the main reason I want to try it out.

    By Adrenelin November 15, 2000, 10:36 AM

    Also I don't like the download manager that comes with it. I'm sorry if I have a negative view on it but hey. Also one more thing I hate about netscape is the fact that the browser takes an awfully long time to load up. On the comps in my school you have to wait about tens minutes for it to startup and load HWC, which annoys me !

    By Sol November 15, 2000, 11:00 AM

    ok just downloaded it here at work, no luck. wont run. i guess it doesnt like win NT 4.0

    By sapasion November 15, 2000, 01:29 PM

    Can it be buggy than IE 5.5?

    Actually I use 5.5 myself and have never and any issue with it under 98 or ME. But I seem to be in the minority there.

    By Sol November 15, 2000, 01:38 PM

    quote:Originally posted by sapasion:
    Can it be buggy than IE 5.5?

    Actually I use 5.5 myself and have never and any issue with it under 98 or ME. But I seem to be in the minority there.


    I run IE 5.5 on my win2k system at home and I have never really had problems. At work I run IE 5 and Netscape 4.76.

    By Down8 November 15, 2000, 03:29 PM

    There are bugs left, but it is fairly stable. The rendering of web pages is actually quite fast, and I don't get the empty pictures that IE sometimes gives [even NS 4.7 would find them]. The reason it takes longer to load is that it is actually loading, unlike Explorer which is always running in the back ground, embedded in the OS. I've had no real problems with it. It imports your IE favorites too. I can't get IM working right, but I don't want it in my browser, as my browser isn't always open, unlike IM.

    There are differences, but I like some of them. My middle button actually scrolls correctly now.

    -bZj

    By Sol November 15, 2000, 03:57 PM

    quote:Originally posted by Down8:
    There are bugs left, but it is fairly stable. The rendering of web pages is actually quite fast, and I don't get the empty pictures that IE sometimes gives [even NS 4.7 would find them]. The reason it takes longer to load is that it is actually loading, unlike Explorer which is always running in the back ground, embedded in the OS. I've had no real problems with it. It imports your IE favorites too. I can't get IM working right, but I don't want it in my browser, as my browser isn't always open, unlike IM.

    There are differences, but I like some of them. My middle button actually scrolls correctly now.

    -bZj


    sounds good. I will have to look more into it later.

    By Ymaster November 15, 2000, 04:13 PM

    I like it so far..It has skins. The side bar reminds me of the browser on the mac and was very nice to have. I like how easy it is to get to my normal adjustments. I don't use there downloader so I'm not sure what it looks like. Last time I checked it had a banner. But then how else can they make money to build a browser? I have had no crashes or problems other than large fonts warping the Forums bars. I guess thats the price we pay to have 21'monitors.

    By Ymaster November 15, 2000, 04:15 PM

    quote:Originally posted by Sol:
    ok just downloaded it here at work, no luck. wont run. i guess it doesnt like win NT 4.0


    Wonder why that is? Should there be a Nt4.0 version out yet?

    By Ymaster November 15, 2000, 04:17 PM

    quote:Originally posted by Adrenelin:
    Also I don't like the download manager that comes with it. I'm sorry if I have a negative view on it but hey. Also one more thing I hate about netscape is the fact that the browser takes an awfully long time to load up. On the comps in my school you have to wait about tens minutes for it to startup and load HWC, which annoys me !


    Slow school computers suck!

    By Sol November 15, 2000, 04:20 PM

    quote:Originally posted by Ymaster:

    Wonder why that is? Should there be a Nt4.0 version out yet?

    I am not sure. I used the autodownload thing and it did everything automatically. who knows. I am going to give it another try tomorrow.

    By Sol November 15, 2000, 04:21 PM

    quote:Originally posted by Ymaster:
    I like it so far..It has skins. The side bar reminds me of the browser on the mac and was very nice to have. I like how easy it is to get to my normal adjustments. I don't use there downloader so I'm not sure what it looks like. Last time I checked it had a banner. But then how else can they make money to build a browser? I have had no crashes or problems other than large fonts warping the Forums bars. I guess thats the price we pay to have 21'monitors.


    Sounds interesting. I am kind of interested in the themes or skins. that is a neat idea.

    By Ymaster November 15, 2000, 04:23 PM

    quote:Originally posted by sapasion:
    Can it be buggy than IE 5.5?


    Actually I use 5.5 myself and have never and any issue with it under 98 or ME. But I seem to be in the minority there.


    Ie5.5 is tons buggy..It works at 7 out of 10 for me. Was going to pull my hair out until I got the last build of it. The WinMe IE sucked like a cheap whore on a all protein diet.

    By Ymaster November 15, 2000, 04:30 PM

    Checkout the Option for Screen Resolutions (dpi)..Hmm sweet!

    By blppt November 15, 2000, 04:49 PM

    quote:Originally posted by Ymaster:
    http://netscape.com/


    I'm playing around with it still. But so far it ROCKS!

    It seems ok now, but the very first time i loaded it up, it crashed. And the 'support' for email client downloads of Netscape's own Webmail service seems to be down as well. Seems a bit slower loading web pages than IE 5.5. Also, that crap about Gecko supposedly being 'streamlined' is complete BS. 6 seems to be using about 30 megs of memory with one window open (granted the outboard java applet is taking up RAM as well). Hmph. Another lie. At least it doesnt crash in Hotmail like IE 5.5 is prone to do. How ironic is that?

    I dont know if i'm gonna bother keeping 6 in my system. If i want a new, streamilined browser, i'll use Opera 4.01.

    By Klashe November 15, 2000, 05:09 PM

    quote: Originally Quoted by Sol:
    Sounds interesting. I am kind of interested in the themes or skins. that is a neat idea.

    The idea for skinning a browser been around for a while: www.hotbar.com
    Well, it's a psuedo-skin at least.

    By blppt November 15, 2000, 05:21 PM

    quote:Originally posted by blppt:
    It seems ok now, but the very first time i loaded it up, it crashed. And the 'support' for email client downloads of Netscape's own Webmail service seems to be down as well. Seems a bit slower loading web pages than IE 5.5. Also, that crap about Gecko supposedly being 'streamlined' is complete BS. 6 seems to be using about 30 megs of memory with one window open (granted the outboard java applet is taking up RAM as well). Hmph. Another lie. At least it doesnt crash in Hotmail like IE 5.5 is prone to do. How ironic is that?

    I dont know if i'm gonna bother keeping 6 in my system. If i want a new, streamilined browser, i'll use Opera 4.01.


    Update: NS6 just crashed again when it couldn't login to the 'supported' AOL mail feature. Thank God for Win2k. I was still typing up a term paper at the time. ;-)

    This doesn't look to be much more stable than PR3, i bet this was going to be PR4 but the AOL execs pushed NS to get it out on time.

    By jtshaw November 15, 2000, 05:49 PM

    Netscape6 is here!....well it was here, until I opened it and tried to use it for 10 minutes. I installed it on both a Windows machine and a Linux box running 2.2.17 kernel and KDE2.0. From my little experience I wouldn't bother with it if I were you, it was garbage.

    By blppt November 15, 2000, 06:13 PM

    quote:Originally posted by jtshaw:
    Netscape6 is here!....well it was here, until I opened it and tried to use it for 10 minutes. I installed it on both a Windows machine and a Linux box running 2.2.17 kernel and KDE2.0. From my little experience I wouldn't bother with it if I were you, it was garbage.

    Yeah, i finally got it to run on Linux too. Took me like 15 times, since NS great install program for linux apparently does not know how to reconnect to the server when it loses contact.

    The funny thing is, it seems to be more stable on Linux than Win2k. Although it also seems to be slower than NS 4.75 i had before.

    By blppt November 15, 2000, 06:16 PM

    quote:Originally posted by blppt:
    Yeah, i finally got it to run on Linux too. Took me like 15 times, since NS great install program for linux apparently does not know how to reconnect to the server when it loses contact.


    The funny thing is, it seems to be more stable on Linux than Win2k. Although it also seems to be slower than NS 4.75 i had before.



    Also, finally support for the mouse wheel in Linux! StarOffice does too, but previous netscapes havent had it.

    By Revilre ][ November 15, 2000, 09:43 PM

    quote:Originally posted by sapasion:
    Can it be buggy than IE 5.5?

    Actually I use 5.5 myself and have never and any issue with it under 98 or ME. But I seem to be in the minority there.


    Nope, youre not in the minority there. I have used IE5.5 since beta. Never had a single hiccup or anything.

    The main complaint people have is that is shows a page as finished before its done. Really it shows it as done when its finished making all file requests. So it shows done when it is still downloading the last images that were requested.

    By Revilre ][ November 15, 2000, 09:46 PM

    I have NS4.75 on my other machine for online banking because Wells ****o hasn't aproved IE5.5 SP1 yet (SP0 is approved though).

    I don't use it except for that. I wouldn't think of putting it on this machine because its virusware.

    By Sol November 15, 2000, 11:26 PM

    quote:Originally posted by Klashe:
    [QUOTE] Originally Quoted by Sol:
    Sounds interesting. I am kind of interested in the themes or skins. that is a neat idea.

    The idea for skinning a browser been around for a while: www.hotbar.com
    Well, it's a psuedo-skin at least.

    Yeah, I need to correct that. I know it wasnt Netscapes idea

    By Rick_James9 November 15, 2000, 11:30 PM

    quote:Originally posted by Ymaster:
    http://netscape.com/

    I'm playing around with it still. But so far it ROCKS!

    Hi Ymaster! I have installed N6 and I don't see it yet but, maybe it will "hit" me. But, I am happy for Netscape because it is better than IE 5.5 which really sucks(even with sp1).

    By Ymaster November 16, 2000, 04:19 AM

    quote:Originally posted by Rick_James9:
    Hi Ymaster! I have installed N6 and I don't see it yet but, maybe it will "hit" me. But, I am happy for Netscape because it is better than IE 5.5 which really sucks(even with sp1).


    I really have no idea whats wrong with these other peeps. Maybe if you all would stop ****ing with your windows so dam much something might work for a change! heh Joke


    I don't have Nt or 2k pro at the house to play around with. My guess is to try updating your system mjr java files at Sun.??? Try being a good chap and send the Netscape folks an E-mail rather than set around wishing your problems will just go away in the next update. Nine out of 10 times your going to get the same errors you got from the beta. Oh and did anyone forget about unintalling the beta first before the full release? Sheezh


    By Ymaster November 16, 2000, 07:15 AM

    Dammit! forget that crap! Again I'm talking with my finger up my @#$. It keeps crashing when I boot-up now. Something about AppsComps? Sigh..Can't there be just one working browser? @#$!#$ mother!$%!%$F@!#$!%$

    By Ymaster November 16, 2000, 09:07 AM

    Being the ****ing man that I am..I fixed the problem and Sent a few letters to Netscape! grr..heh

    If you get this error, just look for the link to profile manager. Make a new Profile and start-up the browser from that window.

    By jtshaw November 16, 2000, 09:43 AM

    Under KDE2 almost everything has scrolling mouse support for my logitech mouseman wheel. Even Netscape 4.73 did.

    quote:Originally posted by blppt:

    Also, finally support for the mouse wheel in Linux! StarOffice does too, but previous netscapes havent had it.


    By blppt November 16, 2000, 07:44 PM

    quote:Originally posted by jtshaw:
    Under KDE2 almost everything has scrolling mouse support for my logitech mouseman wheel. Even Netscape 4.73 did.

    I cant say the same. Even RH7 with support for my USB mouse did not utilize the wheel until i upgraded to NS6. It was quite a shock to see it work in Staroffice, after it did absolutely nothing in NS 4.75. Maybe i did something wrong, or NS less than 6 doesn't recognize the wheel if you only set up a 3 button generic USB mouse, but then why would Staroffice? ;-)

    By blppt November 16, 2000, 07:46 PM

    quote:Originally posted by Ymaster:

    I really have no idea whats wrong with these other peeps. Maybe if you all would stop ****ing with your windows so dam much something might work for a change! heh Joke


    I don't have Nt or 2k pro at the house to play around with. My guess is to try updating your system mjr java files at Sun.??? Try being a good chap and send the Netscape folks an E-mail rather than set around wishing your problems will just go away in the next update. Nine out of 10 times your going to get the same errors you got from the beta. Oh and did anyone forget about unintalling the beta first before the full release? Sheezh

    I didnt even have a bets release running on my system at the time. A few weeks ago, a bad Mandrake 7.2 burn erased my entire partition table, and with it all my OSs. I just finalyl got done installing all the service packs and shit for 2k two weeks ago. NS6 was installed cleanly.

    By Revilre ][ November 16, 2000, 10:59 PM

    What is really wierd is that I not only got it working in WinMe just fine, it also hasn't crashed.

    Its about as fast as IE5.5 too. I will see how stable it remains. If it stays this stable (100%) then I may actually use it.


    [edit 1]Still no crshes. But it does screw a few pages up. HardOCP being one of them. The tables don't render properly it seems.

    [edit 2]Still no crashes. Does anyone know of a site that has crashed it for them? I want to try to crash it.

    By Revilre ][ November 17, 2000, 05:43 PM

    BUMP!

    By blppt November 17, 2000, 06:40 PM

    quote:Originally posted by blppt:
    I cant say the same. Even RH7 with support for my USB mouse did not utilize the wheel until i upgraded to NS6. It was quite a shock to see it work in Staroffice, after it did absolutely nothing in NS 4.75. Maybe i did something wrong, or NS less than 6 doesn't recognize the wheel if you only set up a 3 button generic USB mouse, but then why would Staroffice? ;-)


    Oops. I did not realize you had said KDE2. I didnt like th prerelease version that came with RH7 so i just use KDE1. ;-)

    By LethalWolfe November 18, 2000, 12:25 AM

    I installed Net6 2 nights ago and have only had 1 crash. I'm much happier w/it than I thought I'd be. I also love the new skin much better than the look of IE or older versions of Netscape. I'm still discovering the new stuff in Net6(my last broswer was Net 4.75). I like a lot of the new options you get look wise and security wise.

    Lethal

    By Revilre ][ November 18, 2000, 03:59 PM

    Now I just wish that my forward/backward buttons on my microsoft mouse worked. I'm too lazy to load the intellipoint software (and If i do then the mouse wheel stops working in Q3A so....)

    By blppt November 18, 2000, 08:37 PM

    quote:Originally posted by Revilre ][:
    Now I just wish that my forward/backward buttons on my microsoft mouse worked. I'm too lazy to load the intellipoint software (and If i do then the mouse wheel stops working in Q3A so....)

    Hey, it works great in 2k with no software loaded, BUT you have to use IE. Netscape and Opera are nonos.

    Just for the record i would never install intellipoint either (in my 98 setup).

    By ranger_doogie November 18, 2000, 10:58 PM

    Downloaded Netscape 6 at school on a celery system and it crashes every time at the title screen. xpcom something or another.
    I will stick with IE...never had a bit of trouble with it.

    By Down8 November 19, 2000, 02:36 PM

    quote:Originally posted by ranger_doogie:
    I will stick with IE...never had a bit of trouble with it.
    You've never had problems with it? Have you ever seen a bluescreen? That's IE. Ever had a General Protection Fault? That's IE. IE=Explorer, the are one in the same. If you're in Windows, then you're using IE [baring liteStep, etc.], MS embedded their browser after Win95, that's why IE runs 'smoother'.

    -bZj

    By ranger_doogie November 20, 2000, 02:26 PM

    quote:You've never had problems with it? Have you ever seen a bluescreen? That's IE. Ever had a General Protection Fault? That's IE. IE=Explorer, the are one in the same.

    You are right...I apologize as I failed to use the full (although small at times) capacity of my brain. I should have said I don't have problems with it as a web browser. To my knowledge, this is where Netscape 6 would replace it (not necessarily replace as I realize you can have more than one browser at a time). I have had many more lock-ups, frozen pages, and crashes with netscape than I have IE.

    By Instinct November 22, 2000, 05:03 AM

    After learning the US install site has issues, I was able to install from the Australia mirror. I tried to install from the US site serveral times previously. However it crashed every time as it downloads and installs via a installer program ala IE 5.5.

    After the install it worked great, no crashes, and quick page loads. The only problem I saw was that it had problems rendering some pages at MSNBC.com (go figure).

    I tried all of the NS6 betas up to now and they did have issues. This "gold" version seems stable on my Win2k system and my NT4 system.

    I dont know if its an IE5.5 killer, but I think its a suitable alternative for thoes who hate Microsoft but can swallow AOL.

    By jtshaw November 22, 2000, 11:25 AM

    The hardcore windows users might have to back me up here but I believe the only release of IE that coupled it with explorer is version 4.0. I think they seperated it again for stability issues with 5.0 but it is still closely tied with the kernel. Also, just because explorer crashes on a Win98/95/ME machine doesn't mean it was the cause of the crash. Though if it protected memory third party programs wouldn't kill it.

    By Sol November 22, 2000, 02:52 PM

    quote:Originally posted by jtshaw:
    The hardcore windows users might have to back me up here but I believe the only release of IE that coupled it with explorer is version 4.0. I think they seperated it again for stability issues with 5.0 but it is still closely tied with the kernel. Also, just because explorer crashes on a Win98/95/ME machine doesn't mean it was the cause of the crash. Though if it protected memory third party programs wouldn't kill it.


    Yeah, I don't think IE and Explorer are the same. If i look in my system trey on win nt 4.0 it says EXPLORER, then whenever I have IE opened its IE EXPLORER. They could be the same, i really dont know for a fact. I have tried to get NS6 running on my nt system here at work and no such luck. locks up every time. At home on my win2k system I have it downloaded, just havent installed it yet.

    By Galen_of_Edgewood November 22, 2000, 03:03 PM

    quote:Originally posted by Sol:
    Yeah, I don't think IE and Explorer are the same. If i look in my system trey on win nt 4.0 it says EXPLORER, then whenever I have IE opened its IE EXPLORER. They could be the same, i really dont know for a fact. I have tried to get NS6 running on my nt system here at work and no such luck. locks up every time. At home on my win2k system I have it downloaded, just havent installed it yet.

    Windows 98, Win98SE, and possibly WinMe have IE as the file browser. It was coupled "tightly" with the OS. This is still true, which is why you always want the most stable ver of IE running so that your Windows system is as stable as possible.

    Win NT and 2000 do not have IE integrated with OS, or at least NT does not.

    By blppt November 22, 2000, 03:27 PM

    quote:Originally posted by Galen_of_Edgewood:
    Windows 98, Win98SE, and possibly WinMe have IE as the file browser. It was coupled "tightly" with the OS. This is still true, which is why you always want the most stable ver of IE running so that your Windows system is as stable as possible.

    Win NT and 2000 do not have IE integrated with OS, or at least NT does not.

    2000 uses IE as its file browser.

    By Galen_of_Edgewood November 22, 2000, 04:17 PM

    quote:Originally posted by blppt:
    2000 uses IE as its file browser.

    It does too? Oh hell.... I thought that Win 2k was supposed to be a step forward, not backwards at an angle. Guess I'll wait for Win 3k, huh?

    By Shreck November 22, 2000, 05:08 PM

    Actually if you've got IE 4.0 or greater on your PC the actual shell application, explorer.exe has been replaced. Yes, on every OS (95,98,ME,NT,2K) the explorer.exe file is located in the %systemroot% (windows, winnt, etc.) folder, while the Internet browsing program, iexplore.exe, is located in the "program files\internet explorer" directory (default). However, when IE 4.0 or greater is installed it replaces BOTH of these files, and BOTH of these files are essentially identical in that they can both browse files and websites interchangeably. Mind you in 95 and NT this is only possible if you install the active desktop option, which is only an option in the IE 4 Browser install. In IE 5 setup they presume you have upgraded already, and are not that lame. Thanks for making my NT Server setup harder, Microsoft.

    That's why in NT or 2K you will notice different process names. Don't let it fool you, it's still integrated. The exes still use the same dlls, inis, etc.

    Hope this helps,

    Shreck


    Contact Us | www.SharkyForums.com

    Copyright © 1999, 2000 internet.com Corporation. All Rights Reserved.


    Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.46

    previous page
    next page





    Copyright 2002 INT Media Group, Incorporated. All Rights Reserved. About INT Media Group | Press Releases | Privacy Policy | Career Opportunities